Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day 2 - Dec 28

Day 2 - gallery (read the captions)
Worship Song - Cover the Earth 
Speaker - Ramez
Spiritual Warfare - packed room

[okay so I'm writing the rest of this blog a few days after fact (so my facts may not be in chronological order) but Urbana was so packed with activities, I would have been sleepless had I blogged daily.]

Dear Creator God,

Hallowed be Your Name LORD!  On the second day of Urbana, we began inductive study from the book of John.  It reminded me of Dr. Walters' hermeneutics class, and I was happy that the observations and questions that were being noticed were exactly what my Gospel of John class noticed too.  Loving how these young students are learning God's Word inductively for the first time.  Also, I loved how I can just randomly start a conversation with someone and I could easily relate to them, they were sincere, and I could see in their eyes Christ in them, whether young or old.  It was wonderful being with my bros and sisters in Christ.

During the afternoon, I made it my mind to visit the exhibit booths in Global Connexion.  I was going to ask each booth the same question, "how did you know you were called?".  As You know God, a couple of months ago, after viewing an A.I.M. video that Chris Ricci played, I was stirred within me to go--an inward feeling I never had before to go.  But to where?  Was this from You O God?  I dismissed it as subjective feelings due to the music.  However, during the last December chapel, when Chris Ricci played an audio clip of an Urbana06 speaker, I was moved again; the exact same feeling for several seconds--but this time no music.  So I was thinking maybe You O God might shed some light on that feeling I had, perhaps let me hear Your call at Urbana.

Each exhibitor asked me the same questions about me.  I answered that I'm a library technician from Tyndale University College & Seminary in Toronto.  I love working in the library, I think it's my calling, I could retire there if I wanted to, but at the same time I'm willing to go and am comfortable leaving that comfort/security behind me since I've been accustomed to doing that in the past (ie: leaving Catholicism, leaving computer science, risking etc).  I also asked about the whole issue of God's calling...was it an inward compelling feeling from God where you have to go OR was it pure rationale, reason, just makes sense?

I was surprised to learn that there is a high demand for librarians/library technicians in the mission field.  One representative from Worldventure, was very gracious as we talked deeply for about 30 minutes.  At the end, he wrote down my name in his personal journal and said he'd pray for me (I think he had a gut feeling I might be a missionary).  He also prayed for me right there on the spot asking God for a clear direction.  He was not the only one who prayed for me.  Another time, I was sitting with my laptop on one of the couches and someone sat beside me.  He turned out to be a missionary and we got talking deeply again which resulted in prayer for me.  His dad entered the conversation too and said there were two kinds of callings: the Acts kind where the Holy Spirit compels you to go, and the Isaiah kind where you're available/willing to go 'Here I Am'.

During the evening session, one quote that stood out to me was Hudson Taylor's quote,"God's work , done God's way never lacks God's supply."  Also there was an amazing one-woman play re-enacting the story of Rahab.  As soon as I saw that red rope, I knew.

I went to a prayer seminar at 4pm and below are the notes that I took:
  • no prayer = no power
  • little prayer = little power
  • much prayer = much power
  • there must be an intentional effort to pray
  • busyness can hinder that
  • prayer is sina qua non= essential
  • prayer is more caught than taught
  • praying is the best school in which to learn to pray
  • Is your church feasting or fasting?  playing or praying? (ie: do social events get more people than prayer events?)
  • Why pray?
    • an expression of our dependence on God
    • Christian resource  Matt 21:22, Phil 4:6
    • Christian weapon  Eph 6:8-16
    • Priority of Jesus Lk 6:12
    • spiritual work needs spiritual support (if you are a Christian institution, in addition to the resume, ask them to pray as a test)
    • effectiveness in ministry 2 Thes 3:1, Heb 3:17
    • victory over temptation 1 Cor 9:27, 1 Tim 6:11
    • grace in greater measure 2 tim 3:17
    • domestic and family life 1 Tim 3:4-5
    • assurance/reassurance of God's call 1 Cor 1:1
    • faithful in ministry  1 Cor 4:2
    • handle conflict well Gal 2:11, Ac 15:39, 2 tim 4:11
    • companions in ministry Ac 19:29, Col 4:11
    • Good health   1 Tim 5:23, 3 Jn 1:2
  • other tips include; set up prayer diary
  • read missionary prayer letters
  • prayer chain
  • God's answer is always yes, no, or wait/not yet.

Lord, You moved hearts that day and many Urbana participants confirmed their call to go to missions.  Just wondering if I was meant to go too?

in Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment